PSYC 376 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Symbolic Interactionism, Labeling Theory, Upper Class

27 views4 pages

Document Summary

Contemporary critical perspectives and thinking about social justice. Contemporary critical perspectives: social reaction/labelling, marxism and conflict, gender, race. Human actions are best understood through: the meanings other actors attach to those actions. People define the meanings of the situations they are in: an act in accordance with/make sense of them within, the context of those meanings. Key to symbolic interactionism: the meaning/label people give themselves, self-image, handsome, cowardly, kind, faithful, smart, worthless, mead/self as a social construction, cooley/ looking glass self. Definition: (cid:862)a perspe(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e that (cid:272)ri(cid:373)e a(cid:374)d de(cid:448)ia(cid:374)(cid:272)e e(cid:454)ists i(cid:374) the e(cid:455)e of the (cid:271)eholder. (cid:863) Like gang lecture- (cid:449)e (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)alize people (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:858)otheri(cid:374)g(cid:859) other (cid:272)lasses (cid:894)or groups(cid:895) Crime and deviance as a negotiable status (changes over times, and changes over groups) Labelling/stereotype self-fulfilling prophecy resulting action i. e. through criminal records, over-policing in bad neighbourhoods- means in being criminalized: approx. 30% continue to commit crime after their first offence. Edwin lemert one of the last labelling theorists.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers