Nov 21/12: Political Systems
Political Systems and Social Organization
- Social groupings like kinship and marriage are used to solve basic problems.
- When necessary, other groupings are formed to solve social problems.
Functions of Political Systems
- To make decisions on behalf of the people
- Exercise a form of social control
- Power: the ability to bring about results.
- Authority: the ability to take action through an ascribed status (is a title or power that other people give to you. Ex. You can elect someone to make
- Influence: the ability to achieve a desired end by exerting social or moral pressure
○ You get this through an achieved status (a status you gain by the things you do)
What is Political Anthropology?
○ Who has it?
○ Degrees of power
○ Bases of power
○ Political vs. religious power
○ Forms of government
○ Social conflict
○ Social control
- Access to power can be influenced by:
○ Socioeconomic class
○ Personal reputation
○ Ascribed status
○ Achieved status
Types of Political Organizations
- Bands & Tribes:
○ Informal leadership (influence)
- Chiefdoms & States:
○ Formal leadership