how does it relate to Christianity/Judaism?
- YOUNGEST of the big three "monotheistic" religions
- 2nd LARGEST (behind Christianity)
- 1.7 Billion Muslims (2 Billion Christians half
catholic half protestant)
- despite being new, it is second largest religion in
the world and the fastest growing religion
- about 60% of the total Muslim population lives in
Asia, with less than 20% living in the Middle East!
- biggest muslim populations, in order: indonesia,
pakistan, india, bangladesh. majority population in 50-
- persian gulf states tend to practice the most
conservative forms of Islam.
● so the relatively small group: 20%, is speaking
for the 80% because of their wealth and
SHAHADA: "There is no god but God (Allah), and Muhammad
is his prophet."
ISLAM literally means "Submission"
a Muslim is "one who submits"
- like Christianity, Islam is a religion of conversion.
Islam and Christianity are the two big conversion
religions. - SHAHADA, like the Judaism's SHEMA, is a thumbnail
statement about what it is to be Muslim. Note how much
more simple SHAHADA is compared to NICENE CREED.
- Muhammad is utterly human, and he is the LAST PROPHET
JESUS AND MUHAMMAD, NOT A FAITHFUL COMPARISON.
- ISLAM IS GENERALLY RATHER SIMPLE.
- ISLAM means submission, submission to God who is to
be loved and feared and worshipped.
- makes extensive use of the mythologies of Judaism and
- Jesus may be understood to be an important figure in
Islam, but for Muslims, he is simply a prophet, NOT THE
SON OF GOD.
- ALWAYS HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE:
- JUDAISM, CHRISTIANITY, AND ISLAM are all claiming one
deity, but they all have very different conceptions of
ISLAM'S SELF CONCEPTION
- it is that there has always been and will always be
one God. ~ Allah means "THE GOD"
- Ascribed a series of 99 names to describe this
personality (The Merciful, The Just, The Compassionate,
etc.) - Prophets include ADAM, NOAH, ABRAHAM, MOSES, JESUS,
- Muhammad is the final and definitive prophet.
- Islam has absorbed as prophets some of the key
figures of more established religions and reinterpeted
them in their own way. The way Allah is to be
worshipped was taught to Adam in the garden, for
example. So Islam is the first the religion.
- Moses' message from God was good and true but it was
specific to that time period for those people. Same
with Jesus. Moses has the Tanakh. Jesus has the New
Testament. They are historically problematic and
specific though—and as such, they are incomplete books.
- for Muslim's it is their book, THE QUR'AN, that is
considered COMPLETE, UNIVERSAL, & FREE FROM HUMAN ERROR
- MUHAMMAD IS NOT DIVINE or a god or the son of God or
any of that.
- He is utterly human, but a PERFECT HUMAN. A model for
all muslims. As such, he is final prophet.
- better relation to christianity would be more like
the Qur'an is Jesus and Muhammad is Paul.
- Muhammad is the FINAL and DEFINITIVE prophet.
- Muhammad eclipses every other revalation before and
every revalation after.
- basic statement of faith reflects that.
SACRED / MYTHIC HISTORY
- Allah made the world out of NOTHING - different adam/eve creation story from bible
- theological explanation: for why Qur'an is correct
and others are not: the Tanakh and New Testament are
bad copies, they were corrupted. the Qur'an is the
original because God handed it directly to Muhammad and
it's been preserved perfectly.
- historical explantion: Muhammad was a caravan driver
and heard many versions of Adam and Eve story, so the
Qur'an one is different. Muhammad may have picked a
different one or made one of his own bent.
- Some Qur'an passages are argued by certain muslim
theologians to be consistent with evolution
- in Qur'an version, no day of rest. Allah is all
powerful, doesn't need break.
- Adam and Eve made from earth, water, and blood at the
same time. They were created to be Muslim.
- the whole world is actually muslim, but since humans
are conscious, we are the only ones who can choose
whether or not to follow God.
- Allah created Adam & Eve to be superior to the
angels. All the Angels submit to Adam & Eve except one:
IBLIS or SHATAN / SATAN
- Iblis convinces Adam and Eve to eat