ANTH 203 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Clifford Geertz, Primatology, Enculturation

76 views2 pages

Document Summary

Culture is difficult to define universally; its not only humans that have culture. Cats like boxes and enclosed spaces where they can cuddle --->natural instinct motivates this behavior. Many cats in many different regions share this behavior. Mo(cid:511)keys e(cid:511)te(cid:534)i(cid:511)(cid:480) hot sp(cid:534)i(cid:511)(cid:480)s: (cid:510)o(cid:511)keys i(cid:511) (cid:457)e(cid:534)tai(cid:511) ha(cid:456)itats do this this is (cid:457)ultu(cid:534)e, they had to learn how to enter and enjoy the hot spring. No other monkey does this, only in this region does this behavior occur. Killer whales having different hunting strategies based on regions. If all or most members of the species display a certain behavior, this is most likely instinct, not necessarily culture. Primatology (study of primates, part of anthropology) -primatologists study the cultural behaviour of monkeys, apes, etc. Archaeology - a part of anthropology, reconstructing past history and conditions of human society; focused on cultural objects and artifacts. Culture dictates how you should behave, what you should think, what you should say, what you wear, etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers