Philosophy
Course
PHIL 275
Professor
Yoshiki Kobasigawa
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 5 Chapter 2 Begins Sept 18, 2013 Deductive arguments: Valid: : Sound : Unsound Invalid: : Unsound Inductive Arguments *you cannot have sound/unsound. This is a distinction between deductive. Inductive arguments are not judged by whether or not they are true to judge whether or not they are strong or weak. Strong: : If the premises are true, would it make likely for the conclusion to be true? Is so and so likely? -Cogent -Uncogent Ex: Smith said his plane arrives in Calgary at 8pm. It’s 9pm. So Smith is in Calgary now. Weak: : Is it likely that the conclusion is true if assuming the premises are true? -Uncogent Ex: The flames won when I was wearing a red shirt. I will be wearing a red shirt tonight. So the Flames will win tonight. Terms: Common names (= Count nouns) Examples: ‘plants’, ‘buildings’, ‘cars’ Double quotes are generally for quotations, single quotes are for the word or what it refers to
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 275

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit