Arts and Sciences
Course
ASCI 2000
Professor
Pat Barclay
Semester
Fall

Description
ASCI2; Class 03 How Do We Know What We Know? Part I Why Be Skeptical? A story of conversion: Michael Shermer, Editor of Skeptic Magazine - Originally very credulous - Cyclist; tried many alternative therapies – often with very negative results - There are many failed ideas When is Skepticism Warranted? What kind of question should be asked? - Factual - Values (should something work this way) - Interpretative (meaning) -- For the following, we’re focusing on the objective side (there is an absolute “Truth”) Baloney Detection 1) How reliable is the source of the claim? 2) Does the source make similar claims? 3) Have the claims been verified by someone else? 4) Does this fit with the way the world works? 5) Has anyone tried to disprove the claim? 6) Where does the preponderance of evidence point? 7) Is the claimant playing by the rules of science? 8) Is the claimant providing positive evidence in favour of the theory or just denying evidence against their theory? 9) Does the new theory account for as many phenomena as the old theory? 10) Are personal beliefs driving the claim? Highlights - It’s okay to say “I don’t know” |----------------------------------|-------------------------------| Most likely true Don’t know Most likely untrue - Science does not ‘prove’ theories or facts – things just get closer to the end points - Also: there are many things that scientists do not know… yet. Seven Warning Signs of Bogus Science 1) Pitches the cl
More Less

Related notes for ASCI 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit