History
Course
HIST 1010
Professor
Christine Ekholst
Semester
Fall

Description
Oct.  11,  2012   Early  Modern  World   Europe  at  War  II   Midterm     Primary  Sources   • Who,  what,  when,  where,  why?   • Impact  upon  others   Thirty  Years  War  (1618-­‐1648)   Holy  Roman  Empire   • 1555,  Peace  of  Augsburg     o Allowed  ruler  to  decide  religion  of  his  region   o Balance  between  Protestants  and  Catholics  achieved,  divided  but   peaceful   o Did  not  deal  with  Calvinism   • Rise  of  Calvinism   o No  right  to  practice  in  the  Holy  Roman  Empire   • Austrian  Hapsburgs  enforcing  Catholicism   • Hapsburgs   o Spanish  and  Austrian  Hapsburgs  lands   • Bohemians  were  Hussites,  area  strongly  Protestant   • Different  parts  had  own  cultures  and  languages     • Ferdinand  I,  Maxmillian  II,  Rudolf,  Mathias  all  politiques   • Maxmillian  II-­‐>  Jesuits,  crucial  in  Catholic  identity,  Counter-­‐Reformation   o Duty  to  suppress  Protestantism  in  their  areas   • Prague  strongly  Protestant,  Protestant  nobles  demanded  right  to  be   Protestant   Ferdinand  II  (1619-­‐1637)   • Devout  Catholic,  did  not  honor  agreement  to  increase  Protestants  rights   • Reduced  Protestants  rights   1618,  Defenestration  of  Prague   • Protestants  demanded  rights,  held  a  trial,  convicted  them  and  threw  out   Ferdinand’s  officials  the  window   o Landed  in  pile  of  garbage  and  survived   • Fenestra=  Window   Frederick  I  (119-­‐1620)   • Protestants  elected  Frederick  V  of  Palatine   • King  of  Bohemia  (Fredrick  I,  1619-­‐1620)   • Wife,  Elizabeth,  James  I  of  England’s  daughter   o Pushed  husband  to  make  this  decision-­‐  not  true-­‐  propaganda  to  blame   her     • Calvinist   • Ferdinand  II  strikes  back,  Spain’s  support   Spain  and  the  Netherlands,  1609  Twelve  Year  Truce   • Low  Countries   o United  provinces   o Spanish  Netherlands   • Waited  till  twelve  year  truce,  invaded  Netherlands,  what  Ferdinand  II  offered   in  order  for  their  support   “The  Empire  Strikes  Back”  Ferdinand  II   • Battle  of  White  Mountain,  1620   o Won   • Spain  and  the  Netherlands   o Also  fought  in  the  New  World,  Dutch  vs.  Spanish  ships   • Spanish  troops  encircling  France,  enemies   • Ferdinand  II  punished  Bohemia,  killed  thousands,  ransacked  Prague   • Suppressed  Calvinism   • Protestants  joining  forces,  collaborating   Christian  IV  Denmark-­‐Norway   • Protestant  leader   • Protestant-­‐German  states  joined  in:  Denmark-­‐Norway,  German  states,   Netherlands,  England,  France   Commander  Albrecht  von  Wallenstein   • Born  Protestant,  converted  to  Catholicism   • Him  and  his  130  000  men  defeated  Danes  (Protestant)   o Series  of  Catholic  victories   • Claimed  All  land  that  had  been  captured  would  return  to  Catholicism,  no   worship  of  Calvinism     • Ferdinand  had  to  fire  him  multiple  times  and
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit