NUTR 3210 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Dietary Fiber, Short-Chain Fatty Acid, Lipid Bilayer

87 views25 pages

Document Summary

Food composition analysis development, application and study of analytical methods for characterizing foods and their constituents. Methods used in chemical analysis of foods and feeds: proximate analysis: basic determination of moisture, crude protein (kjeldahl analysis of nitrogen), crude fat (ether extract), crude fibre, ash (minerals) and available cho (nitrogen free. Extract, nfe), by subtraction: newer methods: replace/extend traditional components of proximate analysis (i. e. gas chromatograph for specific fatty acids, southgate analysis: replaces nfe and crude fibre for modern cho labelling. Allows food manufacturers to maintain quality control: produce safe, nutritious and desirable foods. Allows consumer to make informed decisions about what to eat: basis of government-regulated food labels (i. e. nutrition facts, ingredients, health claims) Eliminates economic fraud provides evidence of food authenticity to prevent misleading info. Enables fair competition between companies; creates standard of identities of products i. e. p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)t la(cid:271)elled as (cid:862)pea(cid:374)ut (cid:271)utte(cid:396)(cid:863) (cid:373)ust (cid:271)e less tha(cid:374) 55% fat. Develops new crop varieties and novel foods food science applications.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers