NUTR 3210 Lecture 13: micronutrients part 4

7 Pages

Department
Nutrition
Course Code
NUTR 3210
Professor
David Mutch

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Micronutrients 4 essential trace minerals
Iron
Iron is found in a lot of different foods at low levels
- Rich in liver, meats, and plant sources (e.g., leafy green vegetables, fruits, nuts)
In foods, iron can be found in one of two forms:
1. heme (within the porphyrin ring of hemoglobin and myoglobin) animals
2. non-heme plants
Only two states of iron are stable in the aqueous environment of the body and in food: Fe3+ (ferric) and
Fe2+- (ferrous)
Functions of iron in the body include:
1. oxygen transport (i.e., important for hemoglobin and myoglobin)
2. redox reactions is an active component of the electron transport chain (iron sulfur centers and cytochrome
heme proteins)
- Not necessarily not bad, but can promote radicals (context dependent)
3. iron metalloenzyme enzymes dont function if they dont have iron
RDA -> 8mg/d men, 18 mg/d women, 27 mg/d pregnancy
- Higher for women due to menses /since women lose iron
- Higher in pregnant women to cover the needs of the fetus
UL -> 45mg/d (this leads to hemosiderosis)
Different forms, different absorption
Between 10-18% of the iron ingested is absorbed
- How much is absorbed will depend on a
persons iron status
- /dont want an overload so its regulated
Non-heme iron
- HCl and proteases cleave non-heme iron from
food components in stomach releasing mostly
ferric (Fe3+) iron
- Stomach acid converts most Fe3+ into ferrous
iron (Fe2+)
- Any remaining Fe3+ is reduced by a reductase
in the small intestine into Fe2+
- Fe2+ is transported by divalent metal
transporter 1 (DMT1)
- /all ferric ions need to be changed to ferrous
ions in order to enter the cell
Heme iron
- Released from hemoglobin/myoglobin by
proteases in the stomach and small intestine
- Heme (porphyrin ring) is taken up in the small
intestine by heme carrier protein 1 (HCP1)
- Inside small intestinal cells, the heme
porphyrin ring is broken down by heme
oxygenase into Fe2+ and protoporphyrin
find more resources at oneclass.com
Factors Influencing Iron Absorption
Chelators are small organic compounds that form a complex with a metal ion
- This can affect iron absorption /can regulate or affect absorption
- If the iron-chelate is soluble, then absorption is enhanced
- If the iron-chelate is insoluble, then absorption is inhibited /if someone has high absorption best to use
insoluble chelator
Examples of enhancers: vit C, and some evidence for specific soluble fibres (pectin)
- Vit C acts as a reducing agent for ferric ion
- /favourable state for absorption to change Fe3+ to Fe2+
Examples of inhibitors: polyphenols (in tea and coffee), oxalic acid (in spinach), and insoluble fibres
- Coffee just after a meal reduces iron absorption by ~50%
- Oxalic acid binds with iron (and other metals too), preventing its absorption
o /insoluble fibres increase time in the gut and increase competition,
Iron distribution and metabolism
Iron is transported in the blood in the ferric form bound to transferrin which is a carrier protein
Important that iron be bound by a carrier because unbound ferrous (Fe2+) iron has a high redox activity which can
readily lose an electron to produce free radicals (interacts with H2O2)
/In order to pass thru the small intestine iron ions need to be changed to ferrous ions
/in order to be transported in the blood it must be changed by ceruloplasmin to ferric ions to be bound to
transferrin
/when transferrin is unbound it will be recycled
/when there is too much iron can be accessibly stored as ferritin but when there is too much it will be stored as
hemosiderin which is less excessible
/too much hemosiderin will lead to too much accumulation in the body so we want to get out hemosiderin from
the body
/reduce Fe3+ to Fe2+ and then again to Fe3+ for it to be bound to transferrin, this is all done to prevent free ferrous
ions

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Micronutrients 4 essential trace minerals Iron Ironisfound in a lot of different foodsat lowlevels - Rich in liver,meats,and plant sources(e.g.,leafy greenvegetables,fruits,nuts) Infoods,iron can be found in one of twoforms: 1.heme (within the porphyrin ring of hemoglobinand myoglobin) animals 2.non-heme plants Only twostates of iron are stable in the aqueousenvironment ofthe bodyand infood:Fe (ferric)and 2+- Fe (ferrous) Functions of iron in the body include: 1.oxygen transport (i.e.,important for hemoglobinand myoglobin) 2.redox reactions isan active component oftheelectrontransport chain(ironsulfur centersandcytochrome heme proteins) - Not necessarily not bad,but can promote radicals(contextdependent) 3.iron metalloenzyme (enzymes dont functioniftheydont haveiron) RDA ->8mg/d men,18 mg/d women,27 mg/d pregnancy - Higher for women due tomenses /since womenloseiron - Higher in pregnant women tocover theneedsofthe fetus UL->45mg/d (thisleads to hemosiderosis) Different forms, different absorption Between 10-18%of the iron ingested isabsorbed - How much isabsorbedwilldepend on a personsiron status - /dont want an overloadsoits regulated Non-heme iron - HCl and proteases cleave non-heme ironfrom food componentsin stomach releasing mostly 3+ ferric (Fe ) iron - Stomach acid convertsmost Fe intoferrous iron (Fe ) 3+ - Any remaining Fe isreducedby a reductase in the smallintestine intoFe 2+ - Fe istransported by divalent metal transporter 1 (DMT1) - /allferric ions need tobechanged toferrous ions in order toenter thecell Heme iron - Released from hemoglobin/myoglobin by proteases in the stomach and smallintestine - Heme (porphyrinring) istaken up inthe small intestine by heme carrier protein 1 (HCP1) - Inside smallintestinal cells,the heme porphyrin ring isbrokendown by heme oxygenase into Fe and protoporphyrin 56Factors Influencing Iron Absorption Chelatorsare smallorganic compoundsthatformacomplex withametalion - Thiscan affect iron absorption /can regulateoraffect absorption - If the iron-chelate issoluble,then absorptionisenhanced - If the iron-chelate isinsoluble,then absorptionisinhibited /ifsomeone hashighabsorptionbesttouse insoluble chelator Examplesof enhancers:vit C, and some evidencefor specificsolublefibres(pectin) - Vit C acts asa reducing agent for ferric ion - /favourable state for absorption tochangeFe toFe 2+ Examplesof inhibitors:polyphenols(in tea and coffee),oxalicacid(in spinach),and insolublefibres - Coffee just after a meal reduces iron absorptionby~50% - Oxalic acid bindswith iron (and othermetalstoo),preventingitsabsorption o /insoluble fibres increasetime inthegut and increase competition, Iron distribution and metabolism Iron is transported in the blood in the ferric form bound
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit