POLS 3180 (68)

POLS 3180 October 2 2013 Research Methods I.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Political Science
POLS 3180
Edward Koning

October 2 2013 POLS 3180 POLS 3180 October 2 2013 Research Methods I Theories and Hypothesis For essays due next week Office hours 130-330 today Friday 130-330 - Causation and causal models OVERALL just means that reading data must be taken into account in a correct manner. How can we be sure we are dealing with causality (connection)? - Co- variation (or correlation) what do we conclude from data and information o The assumption that fire trucks lead to property damage does not work because it is the other way around o We are misunderstanding the nature of the relationship - Theoretical/ logical explanation - Cause precedes effects: absence of reverse causality (connection) o There is a co variation between democratic countries being members of more international organizations o Can not be sure that more international organizations lead to democracy - Non spuriousness Causation does not mean: - Complete explanation - Absence of outliers: especially in probabilistic causation and not deterministic causation o Pointing out that there are outliers does not disprove that a causation relationship exists. o Particular cases: outliers - Effect observable in majority cases o Likelihood an event will take place Does Theory Before or After Research? Th
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3180

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.