POLS 2080 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Economic Community Of West African States, Utopia, Economic Community Of Central African States

58 views2 pages

Document Summary

(cid:862)the i(cid:374)terdis(cid:272)ipli(cid:374)ary study of i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s or relatio(cid:374)ships (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) produ(cid:272)tio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d trade a(cid:374)d po(cid:449)er a(cid:374)d politi(cid:272)s(cid:863) Gpe scholars are interested in the interplay of international and domestic politics/economies as well as the relationship between states and social forces. Liberalism: focus on individuals and free markets. Realism: focus on nation-states and power struggles. Dominating global trend in contemporary politics and trade. Increasingly close international integration of goods and services, labor and capital. Characterized by increased activity across regions and continents. General agreement on tariffs and trade (1947) Aim: lower trade barriers to boost international trade. Purpose: (cid:862)the world trade orga(cid:374)izatio(cid:374) is the o(cid:374)ly i(cid:374)ter(cid:374)atio(cid:374)al organization dealing with the global rules of trade between nations. Its main function to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possi(cid:271)le(cid:863) Structure: ministerial conference, general council, wto secretariat. Current negotiation round at wto started in 2001. Industrialized nations pitted against nics and developing countries. Some issues: import taxes, farming subsidies, intellectual property, investment rules.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers