PSYC 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: General Idea, Deductive Reasoning, Inductive Reasoning

19 views2 pages
25 Mar 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Definition: set of procedures and rules that are used for summarizing observations and interpreting observations i. e. asking the group of students on a scale of 1-10 how tired they are. Variability how answers vary from one another. Used to make conclusions about a broader group than the one your measured i. e. a general conclusion beyond what you measured. The group you want to make conclusions (all the people in the world of this type) about is your population. Risk involved group may be atypical. There is a probability that your prediction will be wrong. Hybrid method is the technique used uses 3 other ways of finding out about the world: empirical observation: using the senses. Looking at the results: two kinds of reasoning (logic) Premise (assumption) conclusion: inductive reasoning (simplest possible) Start with a specific premise and come up with a general conclusion. I. e. my cat has fleas all cats have fleas.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers