PSYC 3410 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Olfactory Ensheathing Glia, Olfactory Bulb, Menopause

50 views5 pages

Document Summary

N e u ro s c i e n c e i i. J a n ua ry 2 1 , 2 0 1 6. Common and very precise in invertebrates and lower vertebrates frogs, for example, can regrow their optic nerve. Not observed in the cns of higher vertebrates (e. g. mammals) Observed in the pns of higher vertebrates, but uncommon peripheral nervous system have nerves that can grow back. Axonal myelination (white: glial cells in central and peripheral nervous system excitatory, in pns shwann cells sit as pearls around. Produce and release neurotropic factors (neurotropins) stimulate cell growth, morphology, and health (including the growth of a new axon if damaged) Produce cell adhesion molecules (cams) that provide a pathway for cells that are migrating during neurodevelopment as well as for axons that are growing towards their target (even in adults, after damage) On surface of membrane so less susceptible to damage: in cns oligodendrocytes are attached to nearby axons.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers