Psychology (3,805)
PSYC 3480 (17)

Exercise 1.1-1.7.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3480
Anneke Olthof

Week 1 - Exercise 1.1 to 1.7 1.1) In what ways do you think that the study of human behaviour and experience can have practical applications to sport? What are your initial feelings or biases toward sport psychology? What do you want to get out of this course? The study of human behaviour and experience can have many practical applications to sports; this can be for both couches, and athletes. Psychology can help in dealing with stress and creating strategies of coping for athletes. By using the study of human behaviour and experiences, we are able to look more closely into helping both athletes and coaches focus their attention on the present game; this will be beneficial for any future games. These studies also helps us find out what motivates each individual, as well as how to deal with any sports related anxiety and much more. My initial feelings or biases toward sport psychology is that sport psychology has come a long way since even the 1960s, in terms of training, education and research, and I am curious to know more. From this course, I would like to learn more about the background of sport psychology, as well as learning about motivation. I would like to learn how to better improve my life both physically and mentally and work hard toward my physical goals. 1.2) Is it necessary for psychologists and other social scientists to formalize “sport”? What activities currently considered to be sport, or being promoted as sport, should not be considered sport in your opinion? How does “sport” differ from “sport psychology”? According to the course manual, a “sport” is a physical activity involving physical skill, prowess, and/or exertion. It also must occur under a particular set of conditions or circumstances. Sport also depends upon the combination of intrinsic motivation and external motivation. Based on this definition, I think it would be hard for psychologists and other social scientists to formalize “sport.” If you are exerting energy and skill, then a lot of things that may not involve physical activity could be considered a sport. For example, Chess. The physical skill in playing chess is minimal but they may involve emotionally and physically exhausting traits. In my opinion, horse back riding is a “sport” that should not necessarily be considered a sport. I personally believe that a lot of the work has to come from the horse doing the work. You, as a human, are relying on the horse to answer your commands and then follow them, not the other way around. However, many people think of this as a sport. And I suppose, by the definition in the course manual, this would be considered a sport. “Sport” and “Sport Psychology” should work together as one unit. The physical activity, and energy exertion in sport as well as the mentality behind motivation, anxiety, coping, etc, all must work together in order to create a firm understanding of sport as a whole. 1.3) What are your thoughts about “cheating” in sport? What should be, or can be, done about cheating in sport? Why are many fans indifferent about the use of performance enhancing drugs by athletes? What are your experiences in Gamesmanship versus Sportsmanship? In my opinion, cheating in general, not just in sports, is unacceptable! Cheating is a way for both coaches and athletes to feel good about themselves and their game by adding a few extra points to the score, as well as in many other ways. The textbook states that rules and officials have been put into place to avoid cheating in the best way possible, however, it also mentions that the biggest issue with these rules and regulations is that every official, referee, coach, etc., enforces them differently and sometimes pay less attention to these rules when it comes to athletes at higher levels. Performance-enhancing drugs is also a major part of cheating in athletics, to avoid this, there should be random drug tests on every team that members should not be told about. This way, you can prevent anyone from finding someone to borrow some “apple juice” from. As much as I don’t believe in using performance enhancing drugs, I do believe that performance enhancing drugs don’t make an ability come from nothing. For example, if you can’t run at all and you start taking a PED, you won’t magically be able to win an Olympic Gold Medal. I think fans are indifferent to PEDs because they know that it is still natural ability. It is very similar to Adderall and education, Adderall doesn’t make your IQ shoot up 20 points, instead, it makes you focus on the task at hand. Gamesmanship focuses on winning, in any way possible, while sportsmanship focuses on the ethics and fairness of the game.
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3480

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.