SOC 3740 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Parole Board Of Canada, Thesis Statement, Solitary Confinement

79 views5 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Outside sources, lectures and course readings do not count towards the 5 outside sources. The parole file should illustrate the argument, the argument should one of the first three assignment questions: submit and hard copy. I(cid:374)(cid:373)ate social structure a(cid:374)d the (cid:862)pai(cid:374)s of i(cid:373)priso(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t(cid:863) Prisonization (clemmer) = the process by which a new inmate absorbs the customs of prison society and learns to adapt to the prison environment. Greater allegiance to conventional attitudes and staff norms in: early stage of confinement (i. e. , first 6 months) More likely to follow the rules and schedule. Middle stages of confinement are the most likely to conform to the institutional requirements: late stage of confinement (i. e. , last 6 months) Less likely to rebel, more likely to conform to the standards of the institution. Do (cid:449)heeler"s fi(cid:374)di(cid:374)gs (cid:272)o(cid:374)tradi(cid:272)t the priso(cid:374)ization hypothesis: explanation for u-shaped curve: distance from community. Inmates are prisonized and de-prisonized wheeler"s e(cid:454)pla(cid:374)atio(cid:374) A world set apart, one with unique cultures, demands and processes.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers