Muscular System

4 Pages

Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1410
Professor
Jennifer Mcleese

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
Muscular System  Skeletal muscle system  Primarily attached to bone  Movement by contracting giving off heat Skeletal Muscle  Cells called fibers Fascicle: Groups of fibers Muscle: Group of fascicles Fascia = CT Epimysium: Surrounds entire muscle Perimysium: Surrounds fascicles Endomysium: Surrounds each muscle fiber Tendons + Aponeurosis  Extensions of epi, peri and Endomysium  Anchors to bone (periosteum) cartilage, skin or fascia of other muscles Tendon: Rope like (Achilles) Aponeurosis: Sheet like (Galea aponeurotica) Skeletal Muscle Fiber Structure  Large multinucleate cells Sarcolemma: Cell membrane Sarcoplasm: Cytoplasm Myofibrils (intracellular structures): Hundreds-thousands, composed of sarcomeres Sarcomere  2 types of myofilaments/proteins Thin filaments: Made of actin (contraction) Tropomysin + Troponin regulate contraction Thick Filaments  Myosin for contraction  Attached to Z discs by titin (protein)  Has tail with 2 globular heads (head extends toward actin and forms crossbridge)  Myofilaments create dark and light bands/striations of the sarcomere  Banding pattern: A Band: Length of thick filaments - myosin + actin (with troponin and tropomyosin) H Zone: Lighter band at center of A Band myosin only I Band: Light=actin (with troponin and tropomyosin) and titin Z Disc: Proteins in center of I Band, actin and titin attach, connect sarcomeres M Line: Myosin tail connect to each other (center of sarcomere)  Sarcomeres join end to end at Z discs to form myofibrils Dark: A band where myofilaments overlap Light: No overlap, H zone myosin only, I band actin only T-tubules  Parts of sarcolemma that extend deep into fiber/cell  Directly encircle myofilaments of myofibrils t junction of A and I bands (2/sarc) Sarcoplasmic Reticulum (SR)  Smooth ER Triad: 2 enlarged areas of SR (terminal cisternae) and T-tubule
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit