MBIO 3470 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Phytane, Gram Staining, Thermophile

26 views2 pages

Document Summary

I(cid:374) bergey"s the ar(cid:272)hae(cid:271)a(cid:272)teria are disti(cid:374)guished fro(cid:373) eu(cid:271)a(cid:272)teria o(cid:374) the (cid:271)asis of the surface structures. Archaebacterial cell walls: although peptidoglycan is absent in their cell walls, they do respond to their gram stain. Those that give gram negative reaction have thin cell walls usually composed of protein, glycoprotein or lipoprotein. Those that give gram-positive reaction have thicker cell walls composed of polysaccharide or layers of pseudomurein, a polymer that resembles peptidoglycan. Archaebacterial lipids: phytanyl ether lipids are the principle lipids responsible for bilayer structure of the cytoplasmic membrane: glycerol type. Nonpolar lipids: comprise up to 30% of weight of membranes. These are complex ring structures in eubacteria and eucarya while in the archaea they are generally isoprenoids of various types: linear hydrocarbon molecules formed by condensation of isoprene groups, h-(ch2-ch=c(ch3)0ch2)6 h. I(cid:374) bergey"s the ar(cid:272)haea(cid:271)a(cid:272)teria are pla(cid:272)ed i(cid:374) groups (cid:1007)(cid:1005)-35.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers