IN 1929, half of the families in Canada lived below the poverty line.
- Churches were looking after charity.
- Governments cut spending
o Wheat prices went up!
o Wheat was one of the major exports at that time.
o Affected prairie provinces
- Death rates rose because of poverty, overpopulation
- Most immigrants were targeted for communist ideas
- Quebec has a well-established system of social welfare that looks after social needs
o This is not the work of the government
- Living conditions deteriorated
Maritimes & Newfoundland on the Rocks
- Central parts of Canada were industrializing
- The Maritimes were being left behind
- Newfoundland doesn’t enter Confederation until 1949
- Saskatchewan is hit the worst out of any provinces after the depression