AFM280 Lecture 8: Reflection 8

77 views1 pages
Reflection 8
During my co-op term at Synaptic Medical, I witnessed many observable artifacts. Starting with
the symbol, they have a red logo and it looks like a twisted version of the WIFI logo. It is supposed to
indicate the process of the neurosurgical machines that they use to perform brain surgeries. Their
physical structure was unique because their desks were shaped like a dog bone. As you can imagine the
curves of the bone, it is how our desks are positioned around the curves which allow direct
communication with one another. No one is left out or isolated, everyone feels like they are an integral
part of a complete unit. Some language that they used are jargons that are common in the
manufacturing industry. For example, ECO stands for engineering change orders and that is the type of
files passed down to the finance department for us to approve of the input costs. There are’t ay
stories about this organization because it is a start up and so everything is relatively new. Our ritual is to
go get food every Tuesday at lunch. However, since I started working there, the finance department
received a new ritual from me. I would draw them a picture every day, and this picture would get
photocopied and passed to each member of the department. Everyone looked forward to it which made
me feel happy. I persoally did’t feel ay espoused alue. This is’t like a ig four accounting firm
where they have their values stated on their websites. I believe in my start up company, everyone just
worked to have fun but still obtaining our goals. A basic underlying assumption was whenever the
company invited physicians over to have meetings regarding sales of neurosurgical machines, they
would always order a lot of food to treat them. We would then wait until they are done their lunch and
proceed to take whatever it is left for ourselves. Whenever there is food in the kitchen, you need to take
it before everyone else.
These three elements put together a culture that is more on the communal side. Within each
department, we work closely to one another to complete projects. Between each department, we are
also interconnected to a certain degree. For example, I would always go to another department such as
purchasing and ask them about invoices that impacted our inventory in a certain way. Everyone is
friendly to each other and people would always bring their homemade food to work for the enjoyment
of sharing. I think because start-up organizations are smaller in size, we are better at connecting and
lookig out for oe aother. That’s hat I all a faily.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

During my co-op term at synaptic medical, i witnessed many observable artifacts. Starting with the symbol, they have a red logo and it looks like a twisted version of the wifi logo. It is supposed to indicate the process of the neurosurgical machines that they use to perform brain surgeries. Their physical structure was unique because their desks were shaped like a dog bone. As you can imagine the curves of the bone, it is how our desks are positioned around the curves which allow direct communication with one another. No one is left out or isolated, everyone feels like they are an integral part of a complete unit. Some language that they used are jargons that are common in the manufacturing industry. For example, eco stands for engineering change orders and that is the type of files passed down to the finance department for us to approve of the input costs.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers