BIOL359 Lecture 3: annotated slides- evolution- mutation and variation

20 views30 pages
11 Apr 2016
Department
Course

Document Summary

Competition is a form of selection it leads to differential survival. sexual selection is also a type of selection. When we are hunting animals we are putting selection pressure on them. Most of the material in this topic is derived from text chapter 5. However, chapter 5 is not required reading as it should be mainly review for most of you. However, if you think that your knowledge of introductory genetics is rusty, you should read chapter 5. notes from last class: *natural selection acts on phenotypes, whether or not they are encoded by one or multiple genes. Types of variation among individuals i. e. i look like my parents, we have similar genoptypes. Genetic variation: individuals can possess different phenotypes as a result of genetic differences (different genotypes), transmitted from parents to offspring different genotypes leads to different phenotypes. Environmental variation: individuals can possess different phenotypes as a result of exposure to different environments, despite identical genotypes. read phenotypic plasticity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers