Economics (969)
ECON 101 (318)

Consumption possibilities.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
ECON 101
Wokia Kumase

Oct 21 CHAPTER 9 Possibilities,preference and choices Consumption possibilities Only a change in prices->the budget line will change its slope Only a change in income->the budget line will swift leftward or rightward,and the slope of budget line will stay the same Real Income(the maximum quantity which you can afford with your entire income)=Income/price of the certain good, showed as the intersects of the budget line and the x-axis,y-axis Graphing consumer preferences (1)Assumptions: 1. Complete: A>B or B>A or A≈B 2. More is better: every good has a positive marginal utility so more goods can bring more satisfaction to consumers 3. Transitivity: A>B B>C => A>C (2)Indifference curve(we have so many indifference curves) Consumers will prefer I3. The area above indifference curves: preferred The area below indifference curves: not preferred Using U=(good1)*(good2) to determine the function of indifference curves. Different utilities have different indifference curves. (3) properties of indifference curves 1. Indifference curves cannot intersect Explain: assume that I1 and I2 intersect at point A (x=5,y=2). Then U1=10, apparently, U1 is not equal to U2. However, if I1 and I2 have intersect, that means U1=U2,which is a contradiction. 2. There is one and only one indifference curve that passes through each point.(same as 1) 3. Indifference curves are not thick.(should be a thin line going through each point)
More Less

Related notes for ECON 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.