Philosophy (272)
PHIL 215 (40)

PHIL 215- MODULE 1.docx

12 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
PHIL 215
Brian Orend

Definition of Core Terms:  Ethics is the broadest term when we think about the values and ideals that apply to our actions  Ethics: o How you should live your life? (A set of ideal, general question)  Nested within the definition of ethics is Morality  Morality: o How you should treat other people? (The narrower question, the moral question)  Narrower and nested within the moral question is the question of Justice  How to treat each other, social institution impact how we should treat people is justice  Justice  Justice: o How should social institutions be shaped? o Social institutions:  Legal system  Implement laws  Decision-making process on criminal acts?  Government process  Create laws  How should people be picked for the government?  Education  Early primary education influences how we treat people  What should we teach? How should we teach it?  Religion?  Some people want to include it, some don’t  How powerful is religious influence?  Healthcare  Determines how you live and if you live  Structured? Funding? Free market?  Economic organizations  Ground rules of economy  Power and opportunity are determined by economic structure o Free market? Religions? Teleology/Virtue Ethics:  Definition: o Telos + logos o Logos means the study of or the inquiry into  Biology: the study of life, of living things  Psychology: an inquiry into the human mind o Telos is the greek word for goal, end, purpose o Teleology: An inquiry into purpose  Founded by Aristotle, an ancient Greek Philosopher  He founded the study of biology, formal logic, psychology, literary criticism  Loved dissecting creatures and figuring out how they work  He loved to figure out how animals works  What makes human being unique is Rationality  Rationality is the capacity of Reason  Rationality and reason is natures clue about how we should live our lifeethical question  Aristotle said we should live our lives by (purpose of life):  Rationally  Live a life according to reason  To the fullest extent capable  Teleologists believed there is a purpose to human life and the point of life is to fulfill it to the best of your ability, o Achieving a goal o Realizing an end o Fulfilling a purpose  What is the rational life? o Reason  Theoretical  Science  Mathematics  Formal logic  Practical  Application of reason o To human life in general o To an individuals actions (how do you exhibit rationality in your actions)  How can I exhibit rationality in my actions? o Aristotle thinks that you exhibit rationality in your actions if you try to be the best you can be o Believed in human perfectibility o Believed that we can fulfill our nature, this is possible, sensible goal  What is human perfectibility? o Eudaimonia  “Eu” is a Greek prefix that indicates goodness and positivity  “Daimon” refers to ones spirit or personality  “Eudaimonia” is translated into wellbeing and flourishing (doing well and feeling well at the same time) Review  We alone have rationality  Natures clue as to how we should behave  Pursue our own well-being and flourishing Components of a Flourishing Life  What is a flourishing life? (eudiamonia) 1. Pleasure  Pleasant: a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for the condition of excellence of flourishing Aristotle is talking about 2. External goods: things that are not part of your character  The kind of life we want to lead o We want financial resources, not wealthy but enough to support ourselves  Ex. If we can’t afford food, we will occupy ourselves with finding ways to put food on the table  Good Upbringing o Aristotle is aristocratic and a bit of a snob o Somebody with a bad upbringing has so many things that stand in front of them (negative)  Friends o Morally important as they are the most regular human relations o They give us the opportunity to display morally good behaviour o Important for moral development  Just society o An unstable society will have no chance of having a flourishing life  Good looks o Greeks thought beauty was attached to ethical behaviour 3. Internal goods  Virtues o Personal characteristics  Ex. Brown hair  o Developed through free choice o Difficult to achieve o Corrective of natural human tendencies  Working towards displaying virtues  Ex. Courage is a virtue because we don’t usually have to be courageous o Beneficial to self and other o Worthy of moral praise o Personal characteristics that are developed through free choice those are difficult to achieve because you have to work at. They are corrective of natural human tendencies. o Greek-four Cardinal Virtues  Wisdom  rather play than fain knowledge  Courageinclined “flight or fight” response  Moderation  Justice o Western culture has all kind a of virtue (Jane Austin is known for inventing virtues) o Christian Virtues:  Faith  Hope  Charity not naturally generous  Love (important) Application of Theory  Teleology/Virtue Ethics  Consequentialism  Deontology  Rights Based  Ethical Issues in Business o Conflict of interest o Who’s owns intellectual property? o Is affirmative action an appropriate hiring process? o Is mandatory retirement plausible? o What kind of health and safety issues do I owe to my employees? Teleology/ Virtue Ethics  How would you solve a moral dilemma?  SHORT TERM SOLUTION Decision process: What would a virtuous person do in my position? o I should live my life in pursuit of developing the virtues in me to the extent that I can (answer to ethical question for teleology) o If you have a dilemma, think of what a virtuous person would do  LONG TERM SOLUTION: what are the resources and education that I need to become such a person myself? (Virtuous person) o It’s all about character, integrity, courageous, moderate ect. For a teleologists  Criticisms: o Some people think its to selfish to be a plausible perspective on morality in particular  Focus on self-realization, some people think it should be elsewhere focused  Teleology is about “me” perfecting “my” nature, “me” fulfilling “my” purpose in life, “me” becoming the best that “I” can be o Optimistic  Some people believe that we just cannot be perfect and this is being to optimistic  All theories are however, supposed to be optimistic because they tell you how you SHOULD be  There is a notion of perfectibility with this theory o Some people think that teleology has an elitist overtone  A lower person asking someone for advice  There’s a hierarchical, aristocratic over tone cause only a few people know what’s right o There is a troubling vagueness over teleology because of its emphasis on character  Ex. Abortion (moral issue when the woman has an unwanted pregnancy)  Teleologist would say what would a virtuous person do? o But virtuous people can disagree o Unhelpful  Succumbing to the advice of wise expert  What should we do in the short term before we become virtuous o Relativism  What seems like the good life varies from culture to culture  So who’s the virtuous person?  What’s virtuous behaviour? Deontology  Definition: o “Logos” means: study of, inquiry into, account of o “Deon” means: duty o The study of duty  Ethical question: How should you live your life? o In accord with certain fundamental duties or rules (adhere to duty/rule)  Which rules? o Two versions:  Religious  Ex. Christianity  Christianity is not exclusively a deontological conception  Major world religions incorporate all four (deontology, teleology, consequentialism, rights based)  Christianity has thoughts that are deontological by nature  Ten commandments, the golden rules (Ethical question: HOW I SHOULD LIVE MY LIFE?, Moral Question: How should you treat other people? LOOK AT THE RULES)  Decision process: figure out what rules apply and follow it  Secular  Ex. Immanuel Kant o Lived during the French revolution, German enchantment time, philosopher  The Categorical Imperative (like the golden rule) o Difference is that this is dictator of reason o Justification is secular o A command of rational nature  You ask yourself what to do, reflect on the problem (rational power) o We don’t need to appeal to god, for morality and justice o You have to pass two tests for your actions to be moral:  Universality Test:  One ethical and moral code for all peoples  Its discoverable by reason  Cultural diversity fallible  One true think and applies to all and there’s a reason for it  Everyone has a veto over the proposed action and if anyone has a veto it impermissible o Are you acting on a genuinely universal role?  Why is he obsessed with the Universal Test? o Motivations for immoral behaviour o To exempt ourselves from moral rules (better or can do something compared to others) o The idea that people exempt themselves from things, oking bad things o To test it, think to yourself and see if people would veto it o Ex. Lying is bad, so no way to exempt it  Humanity test:  “Treat other people as ends in
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 215

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.