Developmental Psychology.docx

5 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH 101
Professor
Richard Ennis

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
September 17 Developmental Psychology The Industrial Revolution • Child labour is very prevalent • Emerging working class • Literacy was very scarce • Change takes place in Britain then globally spreads Ex. The caterpillar effect (treating a caterpillar like a butterfly when its not ready). This is how children were being treated. Freud’s theory gains a lot of popularity in that children need to be treated different (special) Affective Development: Attachment Theory There are two sides to the Attachment Theory that try to describe the attachment between child and mother. o Freud believed the children received sexual gratification and the results equaled the attraction. o Gradually the baby associates this person with survival and positive results (food). They learn this preference. Harry Harlow • Found that the mother primates in captivity were not very good (Infants suffered because of this) • Assistants found the infant monkeys cried when they took away their dirty diaper • Harlow found that the babies fell in love with the diaper (what if it was a trick for the monkey to not let the Assistant go, so they try to keep the diaper there so the assistant won’t leave) • He believed attachment was not secondary need but primary need [Type text] [Type text] [Type text] • Conducts an experiment with cotton and wire “mothers” • Makes the monkey’s choose between “mothers” • Demonstrated that this softness of cotton becomes the attachment for these babies Conclusion: o Emotional attachment is a primary motivational need that serves evolutionary purposes Mary Ainsworth  Tries to prove Harlow’s animal experiment holds true for humans  Invents the strange situation  Found that true attachment depends on trust (ex if mom left then she must have left me in good hands)  Found patterns that supported Harlow Attachment Patterns Secure Attachment  Trusts mom will return Insecure Attachment 10%  Ambivalent/ Resistant (wants the attachment but doesn’t have enough trust, throws a fit)  Avoidant (goes right to the toys, no hesitation, doesn’t share marked preference)  Disorganized/ Disoriented Caregivers Behaviour 1. The belief that because I am being cared for I am worthy of this attention = Secure 2. These kids have low self esteem but admire others = Ambivalent Attachment in Culture September 17 Avoidant does not mean they don’t trust, it’s just that they are more dependent (Germany). Family is so important that avoidance is not even noted (Japan). Patterns & Peers Secure vs Avoidant - do not each like other on both sides. Increased in martial abuse/murder with these relationships. Ambivalent vs Ambivalent - have the relationship where you’re my be
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit