Sociology
Course
SOC 229
Professor
Fred Desroches
Semester
Winter

Description
Behind the Bars Chapter 1: pgs. 1-19  Robbery is a crime that is primarily motivated by the need or desire for Monday  THEORY OF ANOMIE o ROBERT MERTON’S  Argues that North American society holds out as available and desirable the goal of financial success  This cultural phenomenon will tempt individuals to take the most efficient means to reach their goals even if that involves criminal conduct  Legitimate means to obtain financial gain for most lower class persons are blocked since they have few educational and job opportunities  Offenders think, plan, calculate and choose their courses of action  Crime is not simply a matter of will, requires illegitimate opportunity  Includes knowledge about techniques needed to commit the crime and target vulnerability  RATIONAL CHOICE THEORY o Based on the idea that offenders do indeed think and make choices o Would-be robbers mentally calculate possible financial gain, what actions are required, the risks involved and how he or she feels about undertaking these actions o If there appears to be an acceptable chance at not getting caught and a desirable amount to gain, then the individual should decide in favour of committing the crime o If the perceived risk of capture is high and the expected penalty is great, the would-be criminal should be deterred o Expected to give careful thought to the choice of target and the development of a plan for reducing chances of arrest o Behavior may be planned and premeditated but not fully rational o Decisions are made under time and other constraints o At the time offender feels the risk is worth the potential gain even though in retrospect he or she view his or her rationality as lacking - Early success increases confidence and contributes to the offender engaging in a pattern in successful holdups which eventually results in their arrest and imprisonment - Need convinces men to rob banks in the first place, greed motivates them to continue - Having no responsibilities or money worries is described as fun and the bar scene is the focus of much of their time and energies - Most express a “live for today and to hell with tomorrow” philosophy - Several motivational components--- a need for money, the assessment of banks as easy and opportunistic targets and a degree of rationality in selecting their target and modus operandi SENIOR CITIZEN o BACKGROUND o Age 68 o Offender was arrested when he attempted to rob the same bank a second time in the same week. o Sentenced to four years and expresses no regrets for his crimes - Three offences within the same block, which was my bug foul-up - There were a couple stupid things I did, I accept this now. Like going back to the same bank a second time - I wasn’t very observant - I was reading the papers and it seemed that everybody was doing them and nobody was being caught. It entered my mind and I dismissed it. I read up a little on it, cased the bank, and it just came slowly together - After robbing the bank, I just walked out and crossed the street to my apartment. No problem - I handed her a note ‘this is a bank robbery. Hand over the money quick’. She wasn’t impressed or shattered. Her composure wasn’t ripped down at all. She was good. Perfect - Availability came up to have a gun for $50 and I wasn’t going to rob a bank without one - The thing is, if some good from the police force comes into the line-up and says ‘I’m a policeman’, see how much of a hero he is with a .32 in his face. See if hes a smart guy then. That was the only reason. There was a 10% chance I was eliminating the hero factor. It was loaded, but I had absolute control - One cop came straight at me and I assumed I could do one of two things- shoot it out or hand over my gun. I handed him my gun as soon as he arrived - I wasn’t wearing a disguise, but I took my teeth out for the first one - I blame the government for a lot of my troubles - Navy dismissed me on a misconduct charge - I don’t get any pension. We have access to lawyers in prison and I’m looking into it - Computers are a lot faster at detecting us (robbers). That’s why I moved to armed robbery - It’s a fast 25-30 seconds – you cant make 2500 dollars any faster - I needed money. It was logic with me. If you want bread, you go to a bread store and if you want money, you go to a money store - My kids were amazed when I first went to jail but little did they know that three-quarters of their education was paid through various criminal escapades. I don’t regret what I did for a minute. WHEN NEED TURNS TO GREED  BACKGROUND o Age 29 o Serving 10 years on 14 counts of bank robber o Modus operandi never changed; wore no disguise, operated alone, drove own vehicle and robbed banks that were empty and did not have cameras - TV, radio, newspapers told me how they did it - I had to support my wife and kids. I was laid off and had to go to court rent was past due - Landlord was evicting them; needed the money - When you get desperate like that you’ll do anything. I did it for my family - Happens quickly, in seconds, then you’re gone - I’d rob a bank and the go to my bank and make a deposit the same day - I was happy, everyone was happy - I did so many (banks) that I didn’t think I was ever going to get caught - Would say it was his last one, but it never was. Greed and stupidity played huge factors - Lied to his wife about where the money was coming from, after he was caught she still stood by him PLANNING TO GET MARRIED o BACKGROUND o Four men in early twenties attempt to rob a bank o One of the men are killed in the robbery - Tried to give one of the men 10 years for something he didn’t do; fire the gun - Other guys got either 3 or 5 years - All had immigrant status - Wanted to get married to stay in the country - Had the necessary things to hold up a bank - Did not feel like saying no to the other guys that asked him to rob a bank with them - Other guys informed him that he had nothing to worry about and everything was going to be ok - Wanted to rob the bank to have a wedding the proper way - When they were robbing the bank they only had one bag so they had to keep doing down to one another with money - He was eager to prove himself to the other guys - One of the men fired the gun in the air to scare the people, police did not see it this way (Porter) - Getaway car saw them, and continued to drive past them - After one of the men was shot (person telling the story; convinced by other to rob bank) he could not believe how he could get involved in this robber. It was not like him. - Boss and family were surprised by his actions. They did not give up on him - Acknowledges his mistake and understand he’s paying for the crime he committed and claims it will never happen again. EXOTIC DANCER  BACKGROUND o Age 24 o Convicted of nine robbers over a three month period o Operated arm and with a Crown Royal Whiskey Bag o Wanted to maintain a lifestyle that his previous employment allowed him to do - Exotic dancer at the age of 21 - 1200-1500 a week earnings in cash - During his job he obtained a vertebral disease; warts - Couldn’t dance anymore because of the warts - State of mind became suicidal - Claimed robbing a bank was always on his mind; met a lot of guys who talked about robbery and that how he learned how to do it - Grew up in a rough neighborhood with heavy crime - Went to crime because he didn’t care - Regrets what he’s done but says it was fascinating and if you want a high rob a bank - Believed he had to set a dangerous and deathly vibe in the room otherwise a hero will try to tackle you - Said it was an act because you’re not actually going to shoot someone - Used the robbery money on drugs such as hash and coke and go party - Did the banks to maintain his lifestyle and reputation - Stupidity at being caught was that I did them – but the real stupidity was he got greedy and that it becomes a game - Gave money to single mothers on welfare – Robin hood Chapter 2: The Tricks of the Trade - Cultural Transmission and Differential Association Theory o Both models agree: o Crime is a learned behavior and that high crime rate areas of the city expose residents to criminal values, norms, attitudes and role models. o A tradition of crime and delinquency is culturally transmitted from on generation to the next within specific neighborhoods - Differential Association Theory o Delinquent or criminal peers interaction is significant in the learning process (both crime and vocabulary motives are learned o Older criminals act as role models o Contact with experienced criminals represents illegitimate opportunities to learn new types of criminal conduct o Offenders learn techniques of neutralization to justify actions  These techniques are rationalizations that allow people to justify deviant conduct, protect their self-concepts and help release individuals from social controls and
More Less

Related notes for SOC 229

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit