Winter 2016

Department
Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies
Course Code
CENS 202
Professor
Markus
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Cens 202, 003
February 9th, 2017
Lecture 11
The Image of America
All talked of it, but scarcely anybody knew one true fact about this magic land
Next year- in America! So there was our promised land
Singer family left originally in order to not let Miriam marry a Cossack
Mendel Listens to the Music of his Son
Meuhi’s usi reided hi of his hoe outr
Assignment 2:
Meaning of the Name
Animal Name
Chapters 1-V11
V11-XV1
Jonas (dove)
Bear (22,30),
symbolic for Russia
Becomes soldier, flies
away, becomes a
Russian solider (other
side),
Missing in WW1
Shemariah (God has
guarded)
Fox (22,30)
Emigrates, Becomes
Sam (61), protected
throughout first part
of story, seems like
everything is working
out for him
Sam dies serving
in the WWI,
Deborah dies
hearing the news
Miriam (rebellious)
Gazelle (10,30)
Flees home (31), loves
soldiers (79), wants to
live differently than
her families life
Turns mad,
assimilates, life
is’t THAT,
different
Menuchim (Consoler)
Epileptic (15)
(Groans like an
animal)
Misfortune (23)
Becomes famous,
musician
The End:
Family essentially all fell apart except for Menuchin
Mendel isolated himself upon arrival in America, remains detached
o As if he a’t e i Aeria if he is ot followig the Aeria Drea
Focus on Mendel: Is it a religious story about Job (by retelling the biblical story)?
o Story of Job: Healthy man who lost everything (spouse, children, house); Mendel
was never healthy to begin with, never lost his health
o Job in the bible: Never loses his belief; Mendel revokes his God by symbolically
taking off his hat
Focus on Menuchim (Consoler): Does the story have a realisitic ending? Which role
plays the music in the novel?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Cens 202, 003 February 9 , 2017 Lecture 11 The Image of America • All talked of it, but scarcely anybody knew one true fact about this magic land • Next year- in America! So there was our promised land • Singer family left originally in order to not let Miriam marry a Cossack Mendel Listens to the Music of his Son • Menuchin’s music reminded him of his home country Assignment 2: Meaning of the Name Animal Name Chapters 1-V11 V11-XV1 Jonas (dove) Bear (22,30), Becomes soldier, flies Missing in WW1 symbolic for Russia away, becomes a Russian solider (other side), Shemariah (God has Fox (22,30) Emigrates, Becomes Sam dies serving guarded) Sam (61), protected in the WWI, throughout first part Deborah dies of story, seems like hearing the news everything is working out for him Miriam (rebellious) Gazelle (10,30) Flees home (31), loves Turns mad, soldiers (79), wants to assimilates, life live differently than isn’t THAT, her families life different Menuchim (Consoler) Epileptic (15) Misfortune (23) Becomes famous, (Groans like an musician animal) The End: • Family essentially all fell apart except for Menuchin • Mendel isolated himself upon arrival in America, remains detached o As if he can’t be in America if he is not following the American Dream • Focus on Mendel: Is it a religious story about Job (by retelling the biblical story)? o Story of Job: Healthy man who lost everything (spouse, children, house); Mendel was never healthy to begin with, never lost his health o Job in the bible: Never loses his belief; Mendel revokes his God by symbolically taking off his hat • Focus on Menuchim (Consoler): Does the story have a realisitic ending? Which role plays the music in the novel? 1 o Music plays a huge role as it creates a connection to country, nation, and Menuchin between his family • Focus on New York: Is it a story about immigration (or emigration/ exile? Exile, Eduard Said: Wrote a book on Orientalism, main scholar to start discussion • Context of Post Colonial literature • A label the Colonizers always use to talk about the Colonized 1. What is exile literature? a. Has similar cross-cultural displacement. Modern warfare, imperialism, totalitarianism. Large bulk of this writing is by emigrants, refugees b. Exile as a concept: what would we bring with us if we were exiled? c. Exile: as Terminal Loss, hard to detach from ol
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit