62 views4 pages
23 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Yeixiao Gao
In Progress
My first impression of reading was originated from my mother, who always read me classical
Chinese poetries as some bed time stories. At that time, I even couldnt fully understand the meaning
of some complicated and abstract words. My mother would read to me while made me look at the il-
lustration pictures of those poetries in order to help me understanding contents. Childhood experi-
ences can influence a person dramatically, and I think those poetries was the key that help me to
open the door of reading. Even when I was very little I could understand a lot of complicated words
that other children could not understand. Because of that, reading was never a painful or tedious work
for me to do when I was growing up, and I simply thought that this kind of fun of reading would con-
tinue in the rest of my life. However, after I went to an international high school, my faith of reading
quickly vanished after I met a new language named English.
It was the second year of my high school, and at that time teachers only assigned short stories
or article for us to read, I simply assumed everything was going to be nice and easy since no teacher
had ever assigned us to read some complicated, long and abstract works. However, our new English
teacher asked us to read a whole comic book at the second term of our second year, and this bomb-
shell truly shocked everyone. This is the first time I have ever read a English comic book. To be hon-
est, I was excited at first, because I loved comic books and I loved reading, but that thought did not
last very long after I opened the book. That is the first time I realized that every word in comic books
is capitalized. I was not used to this kind of format of books, and reading, at that time, became a in-
surmountable for me to gulf. Those capitalized letters in that comic book kept me from recognizing
even some very simple words, such as responsibilities or television. Reading started to become a
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

My first impression of reading was originated from my mother, who always read me classical. At that time, i even couldn"t fully understand the meaning of some complicated and abstract words. My mother would read to me while made me look at the il- lustration pictures of those poetries in order to help me understanding contents. Childhood experi- ences can influence a person dramatically, and i think those poetries was the key that help me to open the door of reading. Even when i was very little i could understand a lot of complicated words that other children could not understand. However, after i went to an international high school, my faith of reading quickly vanished after i met a new language named english. However, our new english teacher asked us to read a whole comic book at the second term of our second year, and this bomb- shell truly shocked everyone.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers