hist 325-1.docx

3 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 325
Professor
Jonathan Newell

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
What was the national plan for a Canadian West? (1870s-1890s)
Formally: group of tariffs to promote and protect Canadian manufacturing
(Eastern provinces)
Broader goal: to create east-west trade relations, a national market, and a
transcontinental political-economic union
What was the role and importance of Rupert's Land in national development?
Was the breadbasket of Canada
No technology to extract oil (more expensive to extract oil than its sale price)
Partners in development
Why did the HBC become a partner in developing the breadbasket?
HBC converted to retail and real estate
Knew grounds and people
Got lots of cash and land (close to posts-transport points)
20% of arable (farming) land to develop --> incentives
How important was CPR as a partner in development?
Very important
Received 20 miles of land either way of the railway which they could sell
Why did Canada retain control over prairie lands and natural resources?
Dominion Lands Act 1872 aimed to encourage settlement and natural resource
development of Canada's Prairie Provinces
Similar to US homestead scheme
Encouraged mass immigration campaign and attracted domestic settlers
Offered 160 acres free to any man over 18, and any woman who was the head
of the household
Conditional upon living on acreage and improving it quickly, eligible to
purchase a neighbouring plot
Allowed Bloc settlement (bring whole communities)
Why didn't settlement work (pre-1896)?
US lands more attractive
Recession
HBC and CPR tied up half the arable lands, which were for sale, not free
Free land farms too far from railway points
Available strains of wheat not successful
Some success stories in innovation, after 1896:
Marquis wheat:
Canadian breadbasket owes much to dominion government scientists who
developed early-maturing Marquis wheat for semi-arid soils; world-

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
 What was the national plan for a Canadian West? (1870s-1890s) ◦ Formally: group of tariffs to promote and protect Canadian manufacturing (Eastern provinces) ◦ Broader goal: to create east-west trade relations, a national market, and a transcontinental political-economic union  What was the role and importance of Rupert's Land in national development? ◦ Was the breadbasket of Canada ◦ No technology to extract oil (more expensive to extract oil than its sale price) Partners in development  Why did the HBC become a partner in developing the breadbasket? ◦ HBC converted to retail and real estate ▪ Knew grounds and people ▪ Got lots of cash and land (close to posts-transport points) ▪ 20% of arable (farming) land to develop --> incentives  How important was CPR as a partner in development? ◦ Very important ◦ Received 20 miles of land either way of the railway which they could sell  Why did Canada retain control over prairie lands and natural resources? ◦ Dominion Lands Act 1872 aimed to encourage settlement and natural resource development of Canada's Prairie Provinces ◦ Similar to US homestead scheme ◦ Encouraged mass immigration campaign and attracted domestic settlers ◦ Offered 160 acres free to any man over 18, and any woman who was the head of the household ◦ Conditional upon living on acreage and improving it quickly, eligible to purchase a neighbouring plot ◦ Allowed Bloc settlement (bring whole communities)  Why didn't settlement work (pre-1896)? ◦ US lands more attractive ◦ Recession ◦ HBC and CPR tied up half the arable lands, which were for sale, not free ◦ Free land farms too far from railway points ◦ Available strains of wheat not successful  Some success stories in innovation, after 1896: ◦ Marquis wheat: ▪ Canadian breadbasket owes much to dominion government scientists who developed early-maturing Marquis wheat for semi-arid soils; world- famous for high-quality of grain and flour ▪ Extended cultivatable acreage of land of northerly prairies, parkland areas, and US Canada's international reputation for superior grains and flour Time to Look at Immigration  With all the developments touched upon here, every aspect of national policy, broadly speaking, depended upon successful recruitment of a major pool of immigrants  Why look at immigration ◦ Ramsey Cook writes in The Illustrated History of Canada (p. 379) “The history of the first half of the 20 century in Canada, as in other industrializing countries, is the story of a society learning to live with and to control the forces of change released by economic expansion ◦ Economic growth “was accompanied by social tension and changed relations between cla
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit