PHIL 331 Lecture 10: Module 6 Part 2 Enviornmental Harm

5 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 331
Professor
R. Ahmad

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Module 6: Part 2 - Environmental
Harm
Introduction
In this section, we will investigate the ways in which decisions get made about the type
and degree of environmental harms that should be allowed.
Learning Objectives
At the end of Part 2, you should be able to:
1. Explain the ways in which corporations may have disproportionate influence over
government's attempts to implement environmental protection policies.
2. Describe the limitations of cost benefit analysis as a decision making tool in the
environmental domain.
Environments, People, and Power
Please read this Commentary before the assigned readings. This section will give you a
brief, general introduction to the question of how environmental decisions get made.
As noted in Part 1 of this Module, questions regarding the way we treat the environment
are moral questions. This statement leaves open the question of just who it is that will
make the moral decisions required with regard to our relationship to the natural
environment.
The most accurate answer to this question is also the most vague one: each of us has
to make moral decisions about how to treat our environment. Each of us, as an
individual, has to make a number of decisions (either consciously or without thinking
about it) about the kind of car we will drive, whether we will purchase overly-packaged
products, how meticulous we will be about recycling, and so on. Of course, businesses
also have decisions to make about their treatment of the environment. And, as noted
above in Section 1, the moral decisions faced by businesses in this regard will often be
particularly weighty, given the exceptionally large degree to which corporate actions
stand to affect the environment.
Decisions about our treatment of the natural environment also get made, of course, by
various branches of government. Legislators at both the Federal and Provincial levels
have the power to enact legislation of various kinds that affect our treatment of the
environment. When such legislation is in place, it is often left up to civil servants to
determine the specific policies and guidelines that will carry out the intent of the
legislation. Finally, courts are often asked to interpret the law as set out in legislation.
The readings in this Section discuss issues concerning both who it is that gets to make
various environmental decisions, and whose interests are likely to be taken into
consideration.
Reading
Now turn to your textbook and read the following:
#22. "Risks versus Rights: Economic Power and Economic Analysis in Environmental
Politics," by Ted Schrecker.
Commentary on the Reading
Schrecker's article focusses on some economic and political aspects of debates over
environmental regulation. Schrecker begins by noting that, from a strictly economic
point of view, environmental protection regulations are bad for business. Such
regulations, for example, limit the freedom of businesses to dispose of waste products
cheaply, and demand costly pollution-reduction technologies be installed in
manufacturing plants. Other things being equal, businesses have an interest
in resisting moves by government to impose limits on their use of the natural
environment. Schrecker's basic position is that business, in general, has, for a variety of
reasons, too much influence on the process by which environmental policy decisions
get made.
First, Schrecker discusses the political resources that businesses have at their disposal
in their attempts to limit the effect of environmental regulations on their operations. He
points to three main factors.
1. Companies subject to environmental regulation actually provide much of the
technical information that is necessary for the policy-making process. Schrecker's
implication is that in order to assure a continuing flow of information, regulators may
tend to be conciliatory toward (rather than strict with) regulated companies.
2. Corporations often have enormous financial and organizational resources.
Corporations (and industry trade associations) have the resources to make
campaign contributions to key politicians, hire lobbyists to work on their behalf in
Ottawa, and so on.
3. In some regards, the interests of regulated companies and government agencies
coincide. There are government ministries responsible for resource development,
industrial expansion and so on. The implication is that these ministries may prove to
be powerful allies in industry's attempts to limit environmental legislation (or limit the
enforcement of such legislation).

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Module 6: Part 2 Environmental Harm Introduction In this section, we will investigate the ways in which decisions get made about the type and degree of environmental harms that should be allowed. Learning Objectives At the end of Part 2, you should be able to: 1. Explain the ways in which corporations may have disproportionate influence over governments attempts to implement environmental protection policies. 2. Describe the limitations of cost benefit analysis as a decision making tool in the environmental domain. Environments, People, and Power Please read this Commentary before the assigned readings. This section will give you a brief, general introduction to the question of how environmental decisions get made. As noted in Part 1 of this Module, questions regarding the way we treat the environment are moral questions. This statement leaves open the question of just who it is that will make the moral decisions required with regard to our relationship to the natural environment. The most accurate answer to this question is also the most vague one: each of us has to make moral decisions about how to treat our environment. Each of us, as an individual, has to make a number of decisions (either consciously or without thinking about it) about the kind of car we will drive, whether we will purchase overlypackaged products, how meticulous we will be about recycling, and so on. Of course, businesses also have decisions to make about their treatment of the environment. And, as noted above in Section 1, the moral decisions faced by businesses in this regard will often be particularly weighty, given the exceptionally large degree to which corporate actions stand to affect the environment. Decisions about our treatment of the natural environment also get made, of course, by various branches of government. Legislators at both the Federal and Provincial levels have the power to enact legislation of various kinds that affect our treatment of the environment. When such legislation is in place, it is often left up to civil servants to determine the specific policies and guidelines that will carry out the intent of the legislation. Finally, courts are often asked to interpret the law as set out in legislation.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit