Psychology (2,015)
PSYC 207 (35)

Entitiy theory.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PSYC 207
Michael Souza

 Main idea of entity theory: is that your stuck with what you have. In terms of personality and intelligence  Incremental theory:: being ble to adapt and improve and alter. Believing that you can change and adapt.  The differences between 2 theories o Depends on holding an entity of incremental o If incremental: effort o Coming from an entity perspective: I did well because im good at that. More of an innate experience. o Goal of learning: is it to perform well or master that activity?  Performing at a certain level: incremental  Mastering approach: master o Entitiy approach will not want to practice in front of people.  What does an exam mean? o Is an exam a chance to measure my present skills and abilities o Or is it a change to undermine my future intelligence.  How dp people react to failure: o Incremental: I suck at it but how do I fix it o Entity perspective: I fail; I must forever more suck at this.  People with incremental theory do better. Key distinction:  Believing that the most basic qualities can change with effort and education-incremental self- theory. Features of interventions described in the article:  One of them was to signal a strong message of change. Common changes in term of incrementals and action, has been empirically shown to KNOW THIS FOR MIDTERM Course material-search by course and number of course, click on link. Subject resources, research guide-type in psychology Places to find articles:  Summon:  Google scholar: Limit to articles from scholar publications including peer review  Google scholar-research from indexes and databases.  limits  Psyc info for social psyc  Click on top gear  Type uni of british columbia Process f group dynamics:  Recurring phase theory: how did the group progress, focusing on the issues that always come up verses sequential stage theories  When we get things Johns
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 207

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.