Psychology (2,017)
PSYC 302 (57)

psyc 302 theories of development.docx

5 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PSYC 302
Kiley J Hamlin

PSYC 302: THEORIES OF DEVELOPMENT THEORIES OF DEVELOPMENT you want to remember that these are people who are designing them and they are coming at the problem from a certain theoretical standpoint JEAN PIAGET his theories arent as widely accepted as they used to be PIAGET'S VIEW OF CHILDREN'S NATURE thouht of child as active learner; called the child a constructivist; throught getting information that confirms or denies their created rules=development child forms hypothesis; takes in information; and if the info denies it then the child is motivated to change their hypothesis studying the world and not waiting for the world to wash over them (not empiricism) the child is naturally explorative and naturallyreacting to what it finds PIAGETS DEVELOPMENTALPROCESSES assimilation: find new piece of information and incorporate it into their existing schema accomodation: kid realized the way they are thinking about the world is wrong in some way so the kid changes their schema equilibration: PIAGET: A(the!) STAGE THEORIST each stage reflects a coherent way of seeing the world kids start as egocentric: the world works as it exists to me (ex. if i see you, you exist, if I dont see you then you dont exist); around the age of 6 kids realize that there are different perspectives besides their own each stage is fundamentally different from the last before age 5-7; kids think that anything that causes a bad outcome is wrong; after that they are able to see intention IMPORTANT STUDD ABOUT PIAGETS STAGE THEORY kids dont fluxuate between stages and every kid goes through every stage in the same order Piaget thought cognitive development happened in a domain general sense=things apply to all domains discontinuous; domain general INFORMATION PROCESSING THEORIES (connectionism) Mind as computer mind takes in info, processes it in terms of hardware and software in your brain, and spits out an answer not a lot of motivation happing, it is just asking whats the hardware, whats the software, whats the input and output INFO PROCESSING VIEW OF KIDS NATURE development comes from: kids are worse computers than adults; the computer gets more advanced as the person ages a kid is wanting to take in information and put it in the computer and have output come out; they can purseu different goals when they get different information DEVELOPMENT IN I-P the bigger your memory bank the bigger your info processing abilities sensory memory: remains constant throughout life; however long the fleeting sense of what you perceived lasts working memory long term memory: file drawer; generally thought of as limited storage space HOW DOES MEMORY DEVELOP sensory memory stays the same; working memory is getting stronger/more capacity; long term memory gets filled up recognition: recognize as an instance of a category recall: someone cues you you can experience all sorts of things and not remember them encoding: memory isnt a perfect picture of what we experience; it is what we focus on babies might not know what to pay attention to and therefore cant learn it encoding gets better as we age Processing speed: myelination and connectivity gets faster as we age and we do not get distracted as easily SPEED OF PROCESSING efficiency increases with age and the time needed to process things decreases with age speed of processing appears to decrease at the same rate for many tasks showcasing that the I-P theory is domain general HOW DOES MEMORY DEVELOP you get strategies for memory: rehearsal; selective attention longterm memory is unlimited and you just keep adding things to it; the abilityto make long term memories isn't changing; short term memory is getting better and therefore you are able to store more to long term memory the stuff you now have in long term memory is making your learning better PROBLEM SOLVING at first kids use a lot of strategies and then theydecide which works the best: overlaping waves
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 302

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.