ADVERTISING & SOCIETY- JANUARY 17
Use value/Exchange value – Marxist terminology.
“Fetishizing”: making something overly important in mind, making it a fantasy.
- Advertising works to create false needs in people because ads promote the needs of the
Consumption patterns follow the patterns of manufacturing.
p. 7 (Goods and Communication)
- Goods are primarily needed for containing the drift of meaning.
Maslow’s ‘Hierarchy of Needs’(pyramid scheme theories from the 50’s) is NOTAPPLICABLE
It assumes rationality and utilitarian nature.
Utilitarian + symbolic aspects inseparable.
Not just for subsistence/competitive disparity. (Need + Envy).
Consumption is a ritual of meaning/process. (Douglas, Ischer)
• Helps identify groups, stabilize categories of culture.
Creates class boundaries via access to good available.
• All cultures experience the struggle with drift of meaning.
o Eg. Marriage, guns.
What things mean shape behaviour (anthropological view.)
- Symbolic processes are always played out in the contexts o