General Ideas About Writing
Communication is the job of the writer, not the reader:
○ The reader is the one that extracts the meaning.
○ The writer is meant to make this extraction of meaning
as simple as possible for the reader.
Writing is human psychology:
○ We make a connection from self to other. We express
our ideas, our concerns, our history, our awareness, our
story, with another.
What do we require most to make this connection fruitful?
We must earn the trustof the reader.
● We must also keep them interested.
● We must keep them engaged.
This is also part of the connection.
How do we create and maintain credibility? And how do we
keep the reader interested and engaged? How do we make
and sustain the connection?
The Four Basic Principles of Good Prose:
Just as there are techniques to enhance your writing, there are
also factors that interfere with good writing.
The following interfere with the Economy and Directness of
2) Dead Verbs
4) Passive Voice
These are things editors know to look for. By simply removing
these interfering factors from your writing, you automatically
make your prose more Economical, and Direct.
Wordiness is characterized by the use of many, or too many
- By not taking the time to seek out the one perfect word, the
writer stumbles to create the meaning they desire with too
many generic words.
- Writing should not be wordy; it should be detailed and
- Simple ideas should be conveyed simply. Even complex ideas
should be conveyed simply in as little words as possible. Forms of Wordiness:
2. Phony Intensifiers
1. Redundancy—Repeating the same idea twice. Hard to
believe, but this is done “most often” in the same sentence.
advance notice long in size
circled around dash quickly
new innovation shuttle back and forth
personal friend advance planning
share in common deliberate lie
set of tw