The Chapter 4_5. Questions.
1. Why is Marxist perspective still important for the sociology of punishment?
2. How may you describe relationship between the classic Marxism and neo-
Marxist studies of punishment?
3. What is ‘the social formation’ in Marxist sociology?
4. What is ‘the base and superstructure’ according to the textbook?
5. What is ‘the mode of production’?
6. What is the distinctive starting point in Marxist analysis of punishment?
7. What are the basic research questions for Rusche and Kirchheimer?
8. Please read carefully the main theoretical propositions of Rusche and
Kirchheimer (p. 90 – 93).
9. Please analyse how labour-market shaped the methods of punishment (p. 93
10. What kinds of penal sanctions and methods of punishment did prevail in the
Early Middle Ages?
11.What kinds of penal sanctions and methods of punishment did prevail in the
Late Middle Ages?
12.How did the rise of capitalism change the methods of punishment and penal
13.Please read carefully the description of three new forms of punishment
(galley slavery, transportation and ‘penal servitude at hard