ANTB21H3 Lecture Notes - Physiognomy, Ingroups And Outgroups, Canadian Imperial Bank Of Commerce
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
ANTB21 – Week 12: Finishing power and Review
Review session – April 24th, Tuesday 10-12pm.
Final exam – April 28th, 9-10:30 MW 170.
1. 2 aspects of power – coercion and consent = shaping the trajectory (what will
2. standard – officially-authorized register = correct/more efficient
3. racial and class characteristics of standard
- standard or marked = from CIBC advertising campaign: expands on who
can fit in the standards
- dual process of unmarking in north America
o less marked = acquiring certain styles and associating with it
o check slide*
4. there are two tendencies for using language as groups distinguish themselves
and institutions (centripetal and centrifugal forces)
5. sociolinguistic variation is a dynamic process by which language changes as
it is used
power and sociolinguistic variation
- centripetal and centrifugal forces = moving away and moving towards a
certain arch both at the same time. subgroups in every society on how
- powerful institutions, actors help move these subgroups towards the
norm while they tend move away from it sometimes *
- we orient to this kind of way speaking you grew up talking in this way.
- e.g. new yawkez pronouncing – aw, garden, park, sort, etc.
- socioeconomic indicators (class background) and pronunciation of r
= positively correlated: low socio. Pronounces r far less while high
socio. Pronounces r more.
= Incredible variation in new york in regards of pronunciation of r, but
everyone is still oriented to the standard
= related to speaking –ing in formal environment VS –in’ in more
= new york accent became associated with immigration VS western
accent – pure white
- accent – ideological term of speaking the non-standard way *
- moving away from the normal – powerful institutions, actors, etc. who
push you in acting/talking in certain way/creates and recreates social
- E.g. Key and Peele – dialing it up to ‘scare’ certain people and not dialing it
up to not be part of out group society
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version