ANTA02 – Week 12 – April 2, 2013 – Lecture
- 3 different parts – 2 hours
o Essay/ In search of respect
Bourgois’s key argument with the three sub-arguments
o 2 short essay type questions
The Final Class: Why Anthropology Matters
- Thinking “like an anthropologist”
- Anthropologist as problem-solver
- Katrina’s “doubles”
- The other America
- Anthropology and Development
- Anthropology and human rights
How do Anthropologists “add value”?
- Solving three kinds of “problems”
o Behavior : Here’s what do people do (ethnography)
o Concepts: Here’s what it means (analysis)
o Culture: here’s why they do it (theory)
What else can you “do” as an anthropologist?
- Anything that involves problem-solving; observing what people do and why they do it
- Thinking about problems in new or unique ways
- Applied anthropology in government, health care, business, NGOs, etc.
Katrina and its Doubles
- What can we tell about the U.S by looking at the response to Katrina?
- What explanations circulated?
- Where was blame laid?
- Political economy – Wh