Appadurai and immigration
• There is somethins new and critical about glova, culture processes
• Imagined worlds are multiple worlds that are conctitutes by the historucally situated
imaginations of persons and groups spread across the world
• The imagination has become an organized field of social practices
• The role of the imaginatin is importatnt in defining who we are and where we come from.
It defines how we think about our reality
• The imagination is not just something you think anout, its something you create and
oractice in your life.
• We complicate the role of the imagination using labor, internet etc. we are no longer able
to think of ourselves as one person.
• How we imagine the world at any point in time is important. What are the cultural
processes if that time? Imagination is a cultural construct.
Unevenness of power
• Imagination is not evenly produced
• The shift to a sing,e world system is also about a political imagination which does not
reveal the contradictions, unevenness and lumpiness of power and different systems of
oroduction, all with diff consequences.
• Not all the people who participate in globalization have the same access to resources to
participate in the construction of who they are.
• Doesnt spread across the world in an even way
Africa: an inconvenient example
• Africa is ignored but why?
• Defenders of globalization theories would rather soeak of economic success stories
• Yhose who are critical of globalization often target the expan