HLTC05H3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Ernst Mach
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
WHO 2008- THREE PRINCIPLES OF ACTION TO ACHIEVE HEALTH EQUITY
1. Improve the conditions of daily life – the circumstances in which people are born, grow, live,
work, and age.
2. Tackle the inequitable distribution of power, money, and resources –the structural drivers of those
conditions of daily life –globally, nationally, and locally.
3.Measure the problem, evaluate action, expand the knowledge base, develop a workforce that is trained
in the social determinants of health, and raise public awareness about the social determinants of health
clearly recognized in terms of health disparity has to do with number 2.
inequitable distribution of power, money and resources
Quiz - Gini index most correctly measures the distribution of wealth
Lecture 4 :
- Between the formative (precallsic) 1000 Bs and the present day, average height of maya
males have dropped by about 4 cm, while females shrunk by 2 cm.
- their ability to cope with dress is slightly diminished
Spectrum of inequality :
Gender, geography sexuality socio economic group, disability, age, ethnicity
1) Social -economic environment - e.g; jobs, housing, education, transport
2) lifestyle/health behaviours - e.gl diets, smoking
3) access to e&ective health/social care
Explaining the Inequality - ILL HEALTH CONNECTIONS
1: Social Cohesion : clinical epidemiological studies indicate that density of social
networks correlates with better disease outcomes and decrease mortality
more able to be cohesive because they are in small groups.
modern day cohesion has decreased
social cohesion : social capital, networks
strati$ed societies have less trust ( the large size, and multiple interest)- the less
willingness to do something for other.
2: Psychosocial : the environment of inequality, primarily through the machism of
stress can have a biological impact on our bodies.
stress of living in a low income family.
psychologically impact the person, the persistant alivated coristol levels
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version