Lecture 4-Intelligence in a Plural Verb.docx
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture 4- Intelligence in a Plural Verb
What is intelligence?
Intelligence is assessed based on our ability to learn material , absorb information, study,
Our willingness to study
There are different interpretations and definitions of intelligence, Leonardo davinci, Einstein ,
etc. are all perceived as intelligent.
The best way to test intelligence to perform a speed test.
Is Intelligence a Single thing?
We often use the term intelligence as if we are talking about a single characteristic that a person
possesses. Hence we usually describe people to be intelligent or not.
Athletic capability can be used as another form of intelligence. Michael Jordan can play
basketball very well, but not baseball.
o We could ask someone to perform a number of tasks and based on their performance
come up with a measure of athletic ability.
o There are certain generalizable skills that enable a person to be able to excel in various
tasks. (having a strong level of cardiovascular endurance enables people to excel at
So, is there one intelligence, or several?
- Spearman was one of the first psychologists to theorize about human intelligence
- G factor – (general intelligence) – he thought that was the basic factor that he thought was
underlying all cognitive behaviours.
- S factor- (s for specific) contributed to a subjects performance on some specific tasks. (ability to
perform on multiple choice vs. essay answers)
- Performance is based on a subjects general intelligence, plus specific intelligence relevant to the
- What are the aspects that are involved in creating a cohesive family ? perform a survey
- Factor analysis looks at correlations between those questions and finds those that group
- The researcher looks examines similar patterns , and determines a relationship between the
- Factor analysis studies the underlying structure of intelligence.
- This method involves assessing a subjects performance on a number of different cognitive tasks
thought to be associated with intelligence.
- Verbal ability , short term memory ability and spatial ability are the factors that underlie our
ability to perform intelligent tasks.
- People who can hold more memory in their working memory are intelligent
- Verbal ability – is the ability to express our thoughts/ideas in a verbal manner
From 2 to 3 to 7 to 2
- Thurstone (1938) found 7 factors, verbal comprehension, verbal fluency, spatial visualization,
memory, reasoning, and perceptual speed.
- People who have better wiring , have better perceptual and cognitive speed, and are ultimately
- Perceptual speed- are we wired differently and does that determine our intelligence.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version