LECTURE 1 - INTRO
- Prejudice is still around. E.g. Indonesia riots, Rwanda genocide, Houston suburb oppose
plan for mosque claiming they have nothing against it but are just concerned about property
values, drainage and traffic
When is something prejudice?
- Content: what was said, how was it said, legitimate generalization
- Intent: meant to harm?
- Conviction: if person believes what is being said
- Context: power between parties (e.g. black vs. white person saying the N word)
- Stereotype (cognition): set of attributes and traits associated with a group of people
- Prejudice (affect): biased evaluation of a group based on associated traits of group
- Discrimination (behaviour): negative behaviour towards someone based on group
membership; implied unfair treatment which can be e