Lecture #3 Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Rosi DiManno on the Shafia Trial:
- Uses tropes of animalization to describe those wearing the hijab
- Muslims vs. Brides with bridal gowns and vales over their head
- Picton – many killed were women of aboriginal background and sex workers.
- Slut Walk if you appear in certain clothes you are asking to be sexually
- Skirts at Christian schools – wherever there is power there is resistance
- How are men regulated sexually?
- What signifies dress that is “slutty” – its regulatory. Sexiness is coded with high
heels, fishnets, low shirt, makeup (red lipstick) – for men
- There is no human instinct – babies without parents will lose knowledge of
language, fire, etc. One generation can lose compeltely all “civility”
- normalization : socialization , where certain things are naturalized and normalized
and made to be “normal”. “vigilant community of disciplines, euphorically, docile,
gender, dimorphic ‘normal’ selves.”
- Magazines tell you how to regulated : what is sexy .
- Some of us wont go out of the house without makeup on. We all reuglte this gender
performance that we do. We are Euphorically docile
- Gender- Dimorphism : you are either male or female and nothing in between.
- Sex deals more with the genetic biological stuff
- Jamie Lee Curtis has ovaries and testical s that have not come down yet. One may be
a woman with facial hair, or a man with a high voice.
Kathryn Morgan : talks about Gender Dimorph Utopia
- Questions our production of heteronormative gender dimorphic societies
- Our gender truths are constructed through the workings of power
- Gender variation is normal and potentially an arena for playful exploration - We can challenge the paradigm of the existing norms of masculinity and feminity
What informs the Barbie Ken thing we are all caught up in?
READING – Coy Female
- looks at the notion in primatology
- Hardy challenges research in primate studies and the notion of promiscuity.
- Sexual selection works primarily with males. – competition from one sex with
access to the other sex
- “The Coy Female” sexually restrained, reluctant to mate, passive but choosing the
single best suitor, monandrous (one mate)
- Dr. Phil: you ruin the mystery if you try to pursuit him
- This whole idea of the Coy Female was taken from the Batemen studies of the
fruitflies, our whole basis depends on these studies from 1948. This bias reading has
been embraced by pop culture, despite to evidence of the contrary.
- Why do we hang on to maternal instinct and the above so tenatiousl?—its about
- “ Darwin and the Double Standard” in Playboy – science says yes men have to cheat
on their women.
Evolution of sex differences:
- Leibowitz looks at how and why dimorphism developed among humans.
- Non human primate data sex-role adaptations do not conform to pop. Assumptions.
- Female fruit flies are not motivated to mate as much as primates do.
- Male – non human primates are more nurturing than early sexual selection has
supported. Care for infants have equaled or exceeded that of the female mothers.
- What defines femininity? – based on gender performance.
- exemplifys the coy females.
- Compelled to hand over virginity to the dad who then will control their virginity.
- Purity balls is all about the men – homosocial non sexual bonding, sequesters girls
and keeps them ig