In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse
For I have known them all already, known them all; -
Have known the evenings, mornings, and afternoons,
I have measured out my life in coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from farther room.
So how should I presume?
And I have known the eyes already, known them all-
Humanity’s collectively damaged psyche prevented people from communicating
with one another,
• Now he’s trying to convince us that he’s a wise man with lots of
experience. He doesn’t need to do anything, because he’s done
• And by "done everything," we mean he has survived "evenings,
mornings, afternoons." Impressive. My words; Nothing really matters,
nothing is significant enough to mention surviving more than the
• What else have you done, Prufrock? Well, he has drank a lot of coffee
– in fact, his whole existence can be "measured" by how much coffee
he has drank.
• damned himself before our eyes. He basically lives from one cup of
coffee to the next, with nothing interesting in between.
• Prufrock says he has heard voices "dying" or fading away when music
starts to play in a "farther room." We already know that he has a hard
time entering rooms that contain pe