October 28, 2013
Democracy with Chinese Characteristics
Anti-liberal democracy = China. World sees a declining form of Government with democracy’s image
declining. Global story, China is a global model that is compelling and an alternative to Fukuyama’s and
an alternative to modern democracy.
“The people’s wishes for and needs for democracy and freedom are irresistible.”
Premier Wen Jia-Bao, interview with CNN, September 23, 2010
- There is potential for reform at the same time there is no potential to reform
- Limpest test on modernization theory is used to predict whether China becomes democratic
- China is an enduring alternative
CHINA IN THE MODERN ERA
- End of the Qing Dynasty (Opium war with England. British merchants/traders brought opium to
China, and many were becoming addicted) China fought back this was and got destroyed.
England beat them and demanded reparations. Political crisis causing economic crisis Parts of
China were colonial out. Later lost a war to Japan
- Overthrow of Qing Dynasty—REPUBLICAN REVOLUTION
Goal to rebuild modified, unified china with reflection
- Sun Yat- Sen – “Three principles of the People”, end of rule of Empororer beginning of nation
Democracy and Republic
NON- DEMOCRATIC MODERN CHINA
It is not democratic. Not a poliargy. There is no alternative to Chinese Communist party. Few freedoms
of press , speech and assembly. May moments of democratic opening,.
1) A democratic Revolution?
Chinese Revelatory spirit, Mao the nationalist leader,
High tide of Maoist socialism (1949-56)
100 flowers Movement (1956)
Anti-rightist Campaign (1957)
Great Leap Forward (1958-1962) If you truly love your country you’d allow it to liberalize. China
would develop s