THE END OF THE NATION-STATE?
Beyond Nationalism: the Theory
- Nationalism is a product of industrial society: recap
- Does therefore, the passing of industrial society into post-industrial society mean that we are
moving to a post-national era?
- What would that mean?
- Primary allegiances shift from nation-state to something above that
- How would that actually transpire?
Case Study: European Union
- Historical circumstances: run up to war and WWII
- How to ensure that Germany and France would never fight again?
- Notions of European Federalism
- European Coal and Steel Community: 1951 (France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands,
- State Interests: German economic power and French political influence
- Idea: unite economies and then you unite state interests
From Coal and Steel to EU
- Contradictions of only Coal and S