POL312 – Canadian Foreign Policy
Jan 24 2013
Terrorism, trade, and borders
- The buzz phrase we hear about the security is who it is concerned
with and for who.
- It is an expansion of and concerned about. In the Western world, it
is now irrelevant with the Soviet. The broadening expands the
insecurity we face includes economic, cultural, environmental, etc.
- We risk missing security for substantial portion of people that live
It is linked to human security framework - issue of
isolation as well as was understood that it threatened everyone on
- There was distinction drawn between narrow and broad human
- The narrow approach can be understood as deep not broad.
o It insisted on retaining violent threats to violence and well-
Canada's HS agenda:
- Axworthy leadership on high profile HS policies:
o Ottawa convention - successful over the objection of the US
and to the surprise of many.
o ICC - to prosecute war crimes or genocide. It is finally up and
running after a decade.
o NATO interventionist kosovo - used air power, without the
authorize UN. It is the only authority that can allow war. It
sparked a conversation of the standards to authorize legally
to protect people from mass suffering.
o ICISS - the right to intervene. If the suffering is bad enough,
they can intervene and protect civilians. However it doesn't
always work. But even though when the neighbors are aware