MIGRANT FILIPINA DOMESTIC WORKERS AND THE INTERNATIONAL DIVISION
OF REPRODUCTIVE LABOUR
- Filipino migration is often assumed to be a middle-class professional stream (e.g. nurs-
es) but 2/3 of the female labour are domestic workers.
- reproductive labour refer to the labour needed to sustain the productive labour force
- work such as household chores, care of all ages, socialization of children, main-
tenance of social ties in family.
- international transfer of caretaking refers to the 3 tier transfer of reproductive labour
among women in sending and receiving countries of migration.
- when class-privileged hire Filipino worker, simultaneously, the filipino worker
hire a filipino domestic worker in philippines to produce reproductive labour.
- filipino domestic worker are the poorest.
- globalization sparked the feminization of migrant labor
- many of the low paying jobs created in advance, capitalist countries are consid-