lec 6 network
- behavior effects social networks and health
- health is also affected by our social support.
- social networks and health
- contagion is when things pass from one person to another.
- first contact contagion - you come into contact with a person that gas a conta-
gious disease and you catch it the first time.
- contagion spreads faster over time.
- epidemic, the point where it suddenly accelerates.
- on average the spreading of diseases increases exponentially.
- network depends on mode of transmission
- the pattern of spreading focus on network’s structure rather than content.
- core infection model
- every body is connected one another
- sex with everybody
- as soon as disease enters, everyone will have it.
- there are alot of different paths for disease to transmit to one single node
- inverse core model
- have a lot of sex but never with each other
- e.g. prostitution
- having sex with people not in the network
- bridge between disjoint populations
- have sex with other network
- isolation of disease is easy. - does not stop spreading in each cluster but will stop it from spreading to another
- spanning tree
- branching type structure
- isolating any node would help to stop the spread to a particular cluster of peo-
which kind of network matters for the problem of contagion?
the schools have whole networks.
- the longer the cycle it is, the less likely it is to spread.
components are the ultimate barriers to disease spread.