IndependentStudyOutcomes (What you should be able to do after the assigned readings and activities. These
In multiple choice format, identify . . .
1. The approximate times by which the first cells, and the first eukaryotic cells, had appeared.
2. The two-kingdom, five-kingdom and three-kingdom (three domain) systems for classifying living things.
3. Main characteristics distinguishing members of the Eubacteria, Archaea, Eukaryota domains of life.
4. Meaning of horizontal gene transfer and why this makes it challenging to recreate the universal tree of life.
5. Monophyletic vs. polyphyletic groupings of organisms.
3.5 Bya = single celled methane producing bacteria
3.5 Bya = single celled cyanobacteria deposit in stromatolite reefs
3.5 Bya = organisms, speciation and ecosystems arisen
2.5 Bya = cells with nuclear membranes and o