1. CF- Cystic fibrosis is caused by mutation to a gene that codes for a
protein called the cystic fibrosis trans membrane conductance regulator
2. In normal cells, CFTR acts a membrane transport protein that pumps Cl-
(negative charged) out of the cells that line the lungs and intestinal tract
into the covering mucus lining.
a. This results in an electrical gradient across the membrane and
leads to the movement of (positively charged) Na+ in the same
direction as the Cl-.
b. Because of the high ion concentration (Na+ and Cl-), water moves,
by osmosis, out into the mucus lining, keeping it moist.
3. One of the keys to the evolution of life was he development of the cell or
4. Protein is larger than lipid, thus it moves more slowly.
5. The relative proportional of lipid and protein depends on the type of
ex. Myelin has more lipids than protein, while inner mitochondrial
membrane has more protein than lipids
6. When hormones, enzymes or growth factors bind to receptor proteins,
their binding gives signal transduction within cell.
7. Membranes are fluid and asymmerty