english lecture september 24
“The Dead” by James Joyce
• Aunt Kate and Julia were alive, but now they’ve become stuck in a pattern.
• Giving women no gender by using words like ‘flaccid, nut’ etc.
• Mechanical and repetitive culture
• Three Graces (youthful wisdom):
• Venus (love)
• Pallas (wisdom)
• Broke pledge not to drink over Christmas
• Like a robot/machine (p.2513 described with “mechanically)
Mr. Browne (the e makes him pretentious)
• Represents paralyzing ‘brownness’ England has on Ireland.
• Obnoxious, excessively polite, attentive and creepy
• England is taking hold of good young creative people (when he takes away
the 3 young ladies)
• Represents the British presence in Ireland. As long as he’s there, there will
be no rebirth in Ireland.
• Sees through Gabriel
• Not a hollaback girl YET
• More genuine and authentic
• Sees through Gabriel too
• Sings Western Irish song
• All of these characters ^ make him uncomfortable (Gretta joking about his
galoshes, Miss Ivors accusing him of abandoning Ireland