History 1803E Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Cud, Demesne, Monastery
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
16 Sep ‘ 08
History Lecture 3
The Rural world of medival business
- A rural society. Majority lived directly off land. Agriculture was most imp
sector of economy due to large volume and value 2. Due the very large
number of people engaged in agriculture.
- In the medival country side, the business of agriculture involved
- Manoriiaism: a series of economic and social relationships binding lords and
peasents to the land and to one another..( similar to Seigneurialism): 1st
appeared in the late roman empire: to hold on to the land when everythin
was fallin apart. People in the middle ages wud continue the system and
expand it. Places in the west never came under this sytem, cuz it was a
What is a manor?
- A legal and administrative unit.
- Consisted of lands, building , peasants and a lord ( peasants = serfs / tenants
- Each manor cud be from 12- 16 families
- Divded in 3 different sections:
1. The lords demesne: 25% of arable land, the manor house, barns , staples
gardens and orchards. It was often fortified.
The lords responsibilities to peasants:
- Provided defense and administrated justice
- Allowed peasants to use a portion of manor’s lands
- Sometimes provided animals and ploughs
Manor Lords = aristocrats & institutions ( monestary or even a university)
They were source of income in terms of agricultural supplies and cash
2. The peasants Holding:
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version